Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Birthday, Baby Bean!

Wow, I cannot believe it. My baby girl just turned four less than an hour ago. Where does the time go? All I know is that it is going too fast for this mama's liking and I wish she would just slow down. I really need to start taking more time to spend with her and really just watch her and see life as she does.

It was heartbreaking last night to realize that everything she did she was doing for the last time as a three-year old. She went outside to say goodnight to the moon and stars (but it was raining). This was a ritual that we used to have every night and it has kind of died out. It surprised me that she did it again. But it was the last time as a three-year old.

Normally, the night before the kids birthdays, I hang streamers and a Happy Birthday banner from their door. Last night, I couldn't find the streamers. DH said that Baby Bean wouldn't know the difference, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I would know the difference. So, I went about searching for those darn streamers--with everyone else in the house asleep. I finally found them, out in the garage in the wrapping paper container (don't ask how long it took to find the container). I also got smart this year--instead of individual tape for each streamer, I took out a long piece of packing tape and used that. Wow--how come I didn't learn that trick about ten years ago??? Anyway, I am so glad that I took the time to look and do the streamers. The joy on her face when she came in my room this morning, all excited about her birthday and the streamers was so worth it!

She was NOT, however, happy that I had to go to work today. I'm hoping that I can finish my appearance this afternoon and then head home. While we were going to do dinner at home (mac & cheese, her choice), I think we may go to CEC. She loves that place and since we aren't having a "real" party for her, I'm sure this will help her out!

It was weird that she woke up and came into our room at almost the exact time that I had begun feeling contractions four years ago. 6:30 on a Friday morning. I had no idea that the labor and birth would go so quickly! I was feeling contractions, the doctor came in around 8:00 to break my water and she told me that she thought we would have a baby around lunchtime. Instead, at 9am, I was 7 cm dilated and rolled on my side to relieve some pain in my ribs (her feet). At 9:15, I decided I wanted that epidural after all. At 9:25ish, I was told the epidural was on the way, then when checked, told that I couldn't get it and that baby was coming now. Problem? The doctor was still on the other side of town. She raced over and within minutes of her putting on her gown, we had a baby girl at 9:46am. All 8 lbs and 10 oz of her. It was such an amazing, if fast, labor. And I was so glad that I didn't have the epidural--I was able to shower and walk around. It was heaven.

Happy Birthday to my Baby Bean!




No comments:

Post a Comment